what is breathwork?
There are so many branches of breathwork these days but to put it simply, breathwork provides an awareness to the enormous health benefits that the breath can hold.
In ancient times the breath was used to connect to spirit and to control the immune system for healing and regeneration. It was also used for what we know now call a psychedelic experience.
For thousands of years the breath has been used with awareness and that knowledge has been passed on from one generation to the next, but it was seldom known. Nowadays, however, breathwork is becoming as popular as yoga, or at least it's heading that way. So, the more it's being recognised, the quicker we're seeing just how powerful and empowering it can be.
the benefits of breathwork
helps to reduce anxiety
balances the nervous system
strengthens the immune, digestive, respiratory & cardiovascular systems
strengthens the heart
supports deeper sleep
"No matter what you eat, how much you exercise, how skinny or young or wise you are, none of it matters if you're not breathing properly."
- James Nestor (Author of Breath - The New Science of a Lost Art)
Brief history of Soma Breath
Niraj Naik (the renegade pharmacist and founder of Soma Breath) was diagnosed with a chronic illness and bed bound for a year. He was told that he would have to pee into a bag for the rest of his life which he really didn't want to do.
He took action into his own hands with 'what have I got to lose attitude' and started breathing, chanting and going to saunas most days. He noticed a dramatic difference, so much so that he eventually healed himself.
This spurred him on to share his knowledge (previously from mainstream medicine and now combined with more holistic and spiritual approaches).
He is also the creator of all Soma Breath's brainwave music which is rapidly gaining recognition for its healing potential.
The combination of breathing along with brainwave music is perhaps the signature and stand-out component to Soma Breath and what has helped Niraj, myself, and many others heal.
Soma Breath combines rhythmical breathing, breath holds, beautifully designed brainwave music and intention setting to create a wholesome breathwork practice for everyday life.
The 9 breathing exercises found in Soma Breath:
1. Chanting (exhaling with a sound ahhh oooh ummmm (Aum (or Om) mantra) - For relaxation.
2. Breathing through alternate nostrils - activates the whole brain for relaxation and balance.
3. Bellows breathing (breathing forcefully in and out) - For energizing the body and mind, cleansing the body, oxygenating the brain, and balancing.
4. Quick and forced exhalation while pulling in the abdomen - For getting rid of stale stomach gases, clearing the sinuses, and increasing energy levels.
5. Breath holds (holding the breath either on inhalation or exhalation) - Promotes healing, deep meditation, and builds CO2 tolerance (when held on exhale).
6. Breath retention (holding 'no breath' to enter a state called intermittent hypoxia) - To enhance spatial learning and memory, lowering inflammation, and better overall health.
7. Slow exhales - For better oxygenation, ventilation, and functioning of the diaphragm.
8. Rhythmical breathing - For increasing your ability to breath slowly and deeply, for balancing the nervous system, energising the body, and increasing breath-hold times.
9. Drinking air - For cleansing the bowels and promoting the growth of good bacteria. Also reduces hunger pangs during a fast.
Main objectives of Soma Breath
teach people about the benefits of breathwork
train people to take fewer breaths per minute
build up tolerance to CO2
live life with more vitality, relaxation, and creativity.
Benefits of Soma Breath
aids and supports anxiety & depression
creates better circulation
boosts immune, cardiovascular, and respiratory systems
creates more energy
Try Soma Breath for yourself (click on the links below)
FREE 5 Day Intro Course (20-30 minutes per day introducing the techniques in Soma Breath)
21 Day Awakening Journey (21 days with 4 live calls, lots of science and breathing exercises everyday. Here you get to experience the real Soma Awakening!)
Transformations (combines Breathe Fit, Daily Dose & the 21 Day Awakening Journey)